By Elizabeth Marks
Jesus answered him, “I spoke openly to the world. I always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where the Jews always meet, and in secret I have said nothing. John 18:20 NKJV
As we consider what it means to share the gospel with others, we need to keep our eyes on how Jesus did it. He is our example to follow.
His message is for everyone who will hear it.
- Matthew 13:43 “Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”
- Mark 4:24 “Then He said to them, “Take heed what you hear. With the same measure you use, it will be measured to you; and to you who hear, more will be given.”
- First Timothy 4:16 “Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.”
He proclaimed it everywhere openly.
- Mark 1:38 “But He said to them, “Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth.””
- Mark 3:1 “And He entered the synagogue”
- Mark 4:1 “And again He began to teach by the sea.”
- Mark 6:1 “Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and His disciples followed Him.”
He did not teach anyone privately, but always in the company of others.
- Matthew 15:30 “Then great multitudes came to Him, having with them the lame, blind, mute, maimed, and many others; and they laid them down at Jesus’ feet, and He healed them.”
- Matthew 19:2 “And great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them there.”
- Matthew 20:29 “Now as they went out of Jericho, a great multitude followed Him.”
He plays no favorites, but gives all the same opportunity to come.
- Matthew 11:28 “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
- Luke 9:23 “Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.”
- Matthew 19:14 “But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.””
How are you doing? Are you sharing the message with everyone? Are you proclaiming it openly everywhere you go? Are you avoiding favorites and sharing with all people?
Lord Jesus, thank you for your example to us this day. Empower us with your Spirit to proclaim your message to all, in all places, and without playing favorites. Draw us to you. In your blessed name we pray. Amen.