Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. 1 Peter 4:12-13 NKJV
Have you ever considered the trails you experienced have brought you closer to God? I was considering that very thing recently. So allow me to share some of what I’ve experienced and how it drew me closer to God.
Over the last 5 years there have been three major areas that I’ve had some difficulties. The first area is about finances. The next area is regarding my health. The last area is in my workplace.
• My husband was laid off with no unemployment.
• We had 3 major car repairs within a two week window of time.
• My eldest son’s car was vandalized resulting in replacing his back window.
• Our pool’s secondary pool went out.
• The water valve that controls the water going to the pool broke and needed emergency repair.
On and on the list could have gone. Through it all God provided every penny we needed. Of course there was stress, but God got us through every one of these trails. He was faithful, even when we worried a little bit.
• I came down with bronchitis for 4 weeks.
• I started bleeding and having labor-like pain for 80 days straight, resulted in a hysterectomy.
• I was diagnosed with bad gut bacteria, which lead to cramping, bloating, sharp pains constantly. My diet was further restricted to try to identify what was causing the problem.
• I contracted a foot fungus resulting in the one toe getting an abscess and both big toenails had to be removed. So much pain from such a small member of the body!
• Chronic positional headache that makes my head feel like it will explode when I bend over, cough, or sneeze.
Through every one of these unpleasant situations God was with me showing how much He cared for me. He taught me how much my husband cared and loved for me too! Was there pain and suffering? You bet there was, but God was my support.
• Reorganization under new challenging boss who is confrontational and dismissive.
• Reassigned to a new boss. Discovered she was a micro-manager, condescending, and disrespectful.
• New tasks outside of my expertise.
• Stripped of responsibilities I enjoyed.
Through it all, I sought God more. I asked a lot of questions like “Am I going crazy”, “Was this really happening?” and “Did I do something wrong?” and “How do I handle this? And “Help!” God was still there for me. He guided me. He led me to look for another job. He helped me recognize my job is not to hold so important place in my heart. God is the source of my income, not this job. If god wanted to He could bring me to another job that would still support my family. I also learned how many people feel about their jobs which helps me better relate to others so I can encourage them to seek the Lord too!
And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry… 1 Timothy 1:12 NKJV
God knows exactly what He’s doing. He knows where you are and what situations you are facing. Whether the situation was His design or not, He is using it for His purposes. You can trust that He will make everything work for good because you love Him and are called according to His purposes. So stand where you are. Hold tight to God. Keep the faith and carry on. Your behavior through these trails are impacting those around you. So make sure it’s a positive impact because you are walking by faith and not by sight!
Thank you Father for being faithful even when our faith may waver due to our circumstances. Thank you that you use everything for good. Thank you Jesus for giving us the strength to do all things. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.