So you may walk in the way of goodness, and keep to the paths of righteousness. Proverbs 2:20 NKJV
The “so” indicates something came before we need to investigate. Let’s go back to read Proverbs 2:10-11 and Proverbs 2:16-22.
From verses 10 and 11 we see wisdom, knowledge, discretion, and understanding are required to avoid the evil path and walk the path of righteousness. From verses 10 through 22 we see the trap we can fall into without wisdom to guard us. Let’s take a deeper look:
- Becoming involved with an immoral person (inappropriate relationship)
- Seduced by flattery (putting aside good judgment for a few nice things spoken to you)
- Forsaking the companion of your youth (damaging a God-honoring relationship)
- Forgetting the covenant you made with God (breaking your marriage vows, loss of credibility)
Now let’s review the consequences of walking this path:
- It leads down to death.
- None return from this path.
- No one regains the path of life.
- The wicked are cut off from the earth.
- The unfaithful are uprooted.
These are steep penalties for those who choose to walk away from God for momentary pleasure of an adulterous relationship.
We see today’s verse is crying out for you to choose the way of goodness and keep to the path of righteousness. For we are called to continue doing what is good without growing weary, so at the appropriate time we will reap a harvest of righteousness (Galatians 6:9).
To those who have mistakenly taken the wrong path, it’s not too late to turn back. Confess your sins to God, for He is faithful and just not only to forgive your sins but to purify and cleanse you from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). Proverbs 2:23 says “Turn at my rebuke: surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.”
Take it from me, God is faithful to His words. I know because I’ve walked the evil path mentioned above and God intervened. It is by His grace and mercy I walk on the path of righteousness now. I live to warn others.
O gracious Father, thank you for calling us to you. We confess our sins to you and ask for forgiveness, and cleansing from all unrighteousness. Lead us back to the path of life. In Jesus’ name we pray.Amen.