God’s Word is full of mind-blowing truths. If we took the time to dwell on them I am confident we would never cease to praise Him. The Psalmist thought that way in Psalm 40:5 NKJV: “Many, O LORD my God, are Your wonderful works which You have done; and Your thoughts toward us cannot be recounted to You in order; If I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.”
So today let’s do it. Let’s look at the truth God is rich in mercy through grace He gives us. To grasp the mercy part it is essential we understand the sin part. Consider the following scripture relating to sin:
- Romans 3:23 NKJV: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
- Psalm 14:1 NKJV: The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none who does good.
- Psalm 53:3 NKJV: Every one of them has turned aside; They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one.
Looking at these verses please notice the words, “all”, “none”, “every one”, “not one”. Are you and I included in those words? You bet we are!
Is it rational to let the guilty go free without punishment? No, you might say. You’re right. Sin must be dealt with as Romans 6:23 NKJV says “For the wages of sin is death.” That means you and I deserve death.
Now, consider the penalty of death has already been paid for. It’s wasn’t paid by the sinful people who committed the crime. Instead it was paid by an innocence, holy, pure, and righteous person on our behalf. Consider the following scriptures:
- Isaiah 53:6 NKJV: All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
- Isaiah 53:8 NKJV: For He was cut off from the land of the living; For the transgressions of My people He was stricken.
- Isaiah 53:5 NKJV: But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.
- Romans 5:8 NKJV: But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- Romans 6:23 NKJV: but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Why is God so full of mercy towards us? Why does He pour out this amazing grace upon us? We don’t know. But we ask like David did “Why do you think so highly of a mere man?”
Lord Almighty who is rich in mercy because of His great love for us and poured out grace upon us, help us to cling to you this day. May our thoughts lingered on what you have done for us. May our actions be filled with love for you and may this wonderful grace flow out of us towards those around us. In Jesus’ name we pray Amen.