For they do not sleep unless they have done evil; and their sleep is taken away unless they make someone fall. For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence. Proverbs 4:16-17 NKJV
You have heard the expression, “You are what you eat.” Well, the Bible has a slightly different take, “You are what you think about.”
Those bent on evil have to nurture their wickedness. All they do is evil. Why, they can’t even sleep unless they bring someone else down to their level. Think about the school bully. He’s not happy unless he’s picking on someone. He probably lies awake at night plotting and scheming how to make some poor weak kid squirm. The wicked fill their minds with self-centeredness, anti-God and anti-others thoughts. These thoughts fuel their actions.
As this is true for the wicked, it also holds true for the godly. If we become what we think about, we ought to guard our thoughts. Listen to what scripture says:
- For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders. Mark 17:21 NKJV
- For the LORD searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. 1 Chronicles 28:9 NKJV
- Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life. Proverbs 4:23 NKJV
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 NKJV
- You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Isaiah 26:3 NKJV
- The LORD knows the thoughts of man, that they are futile. Psalms 94:11 NKJV
- For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12 NKJV
Scripture points out clearly our thoughts are not God’s thoughts. Therefore we miss the mark. But God’s infinite grace is available to those who seek Him. If we focus on God, He will align our thoughts. Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts will be established. Proverbs 16:3 NKJV
What do you think about? Are you quick to point out other’s mistakes? Or are you quick to praise God for working things out?
Lord, thank you for the thoughts you have for us are thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give us a future and a hope. Renew our minds with your Word, so we will understand your good, perfect and pleasing will. In Jesus’ name we pray Amen.
In His Grace,
© ThinkOnIt Bible Ministries helping you discover the Truth of God’s words.
Enjoy this 60sec in the Word video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obMlmlQiy8k