Fellowship is about celebrating one another. In one small group, we had agreed together to celebrate our birthdays. No, we don’t ask what number the birthday is, but rather celebrate the day God brought us into this life.
There are many ways to celebrate birthdays. Here are just a few to get you thinking about it.
- Plan a set day each year to celebrate everyone’s birthday. This way everyone is included and no one’s birthday is missed. Celebrate with a potluck, desserts, or a coffee/tea party.
- Select someone gifted with administration & organization, ask them to circulate a birthday card when the day approaches for each member in the group. Then during that week’s meeting, dedicate a few minutes to give the card, hugs and acknowledgements to the birthday person.
- You might consider raising a birthday fund. Everyone pitches in a small amount, and coordinater buys a small gift for the birthday person when their day approaches.
- Other variation on the gift idea, is to collect money to donate to a specific charity. The group should agree in advance what charity they would like to support. Then when a birthday rolls around, the group donates an amount in the birthday person’s honor.
- Set up automated birthday wishes through Dayspring.com electronic birthday cards. You pick an e-card, personalize the message, add the person’s email address and select a future date to send the e-card. You can even setup a free account to log all your birthday friends in at one time.
Birthdays are meant to be special because people are special. Let’s begin treating each other as God would want us to.