The Book of Proverbs is a great place to start looking for the benefits. As you read a chapter look for benefits and find out for yourself who is the recipient of those benefits.
Let’s look at some examples from Proverbs 15.
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Benefit = turns away wrath
Who = those who use a soft answer
The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.
Benefit = use knowledge rightly
Who = the wise
A wholesome tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.
Benefit = is a tree of life
Who = those that have a wholesome tongue
A fool despises his father’s instruction, but he who receives correction is prudent.
Benefit = prudent
Who = he who receives correction
In the house of the righteous there is much treasure, but in the revenue of the wicked is trouble.
Benefit = there is much treasure
Who = the righteous
If you write out all the verses relating to a benefit from the whole chapter of Proverbs 15 you might end up with a list such as one below.
- A soft answer turns away wrath
- The wise use knowledge rightly
- To receive instruction is to be prudent
- Much treasure in the house of the righteous
- Prayer of the upright is His delight
- He loves him who follows righteousness
- Merry heart makes a cheerful countenance
- The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge
- He who has a merry heart has a continual feast
- He who is slow to anger allays contention
- The way of the upright is a highway
- A wise son makes a father glad
- A man of understanding walks uprightly
- In the multitude of counselors they are established
- A man has joy by the answer of his mouth
- The words of the pure are pleasant
- He who hates bribes will live
- The heart of the righteous studies how to answer
- He hears the prayers of the righteous
- The light of the eyes rejoices the heart
- Ears that hear the rebuke of life will abide among the wise
- He who heeds rebuke gets understanding
- The fear of the Lord is instruction of wisdom
As you read the above list, circle or underline the actual benefit. You might end up with words like these circled or underlined.
- Turns away wrath
- Uses knowledge rightly
- Much treasure
- His delight
- His love
- Merry heart
- Cheerful countenance
- Continual feast
- Allays contention
- Father glad
- Walks uprightly
- Will live
- He hears the prayers
- Among the wise
- Gets understanding
Now we connect the dots so to speak. We have looked at the benefits and who the benefits belong to. The choice is yours. Do these benefits appeal to you? Would you like to have these benefits in your life?
You can be getting to know what Jesus Christ has done for you. Recognize you can never accomplish these things in your own strength, determination, or power. Recognize you need a Savior who can cover you with His own righteousness. When you realize He IS your righteousness, then these benefits and more are yours.